The year is coming to and end rather quickly, and so is the life of the battery powering my Giant Axact 13w cycling computer. Before it loses all its settings, I thought this is the perfect time to put them somewhere safe. Like the internet.
This year, I’ve clocked up the following mileage. Keep in mind I only bought my bike in September and I hadn’t cycled in 10 years.
- 742km in total (that’s 463 miles)
- all that in 47 hours and 42 minutes
- my last round trip to Chiswick was 43.75km (that was on Boxing Day)
- and it took me 2hrs 37mins (probably longer in reality, because it doesn’t count time when I’m standing still in order to get an accurate average speed reading)
- average speed was 16.7km
- maximum speed was 91.3km/h (yeah right… must have been when I accelerated to the speed of light, which of course is too much to show on the small display)
When I pop a new battery in, I must remember that the circumference of my wheels is 2095mm. I need a CR2025, let me know if you’ve got one somewhere (I can trade you a CR2032 – which is the same size but a bit thicker).
Trips this year mainly included Finsbury Park to IMG in Chiswick (see above) and Finsbury Park to MTV in Camden (about 9km one way in 30mins). Lowest temperature encountered was -1C, which thanks to Altura gloves, a North Face hat and my Spyder Ski Jacket feels like saying to winter, “is that all you got?”
I’m back on my bike at 5:30am on the 4th of January for the first Tour de Chiswick in 2010.
Why not join me 😉
Who would have thought that these numbers would change only an hour and a half before the new year? Turns out that Julia and I took a spontaneous trip down the Network Cycling Route 1 down to Greenwich on the last day of the year.
It was a lovely ride through very much undiscovered parts of the neighbourhood, highly reccomended to anyone with a bit of time on their hands. The trip took 2hrs each way, keeping in mind we did take it rather slow. Plenty of derelict buildings to discover, so we must come back with our cameras and take the last pictures of the Matchbox Toy Factory before the demolishing works will make it disappear forever.
41km round trip, at an average of 10km/h at mainly 3 degrees (0 on the way back at 10pm).
This of course changes the final numbers of 2009 to the following:
- Total Distance: 785km (that’s 490 miles)
- Total Riding Time: 51hrs 54mins