I have spent the last three years going through cancer treatment hell and have survived against all odds, thanks to a new treatment approach called immunotherapy.
I haven’t shared much of my journey as it was happening between 2015 and 2017, but now that it’s all over, I have an amazing story to tell.
Interested? Check out the quick facts here, or wait for my new book to come out.
I’ve just finished writing a new book called
BROKEN BOWELS – Tales of a Super Survivor.
It tells an amazing story of how the conventional treatment methods didn’t work in my case, how we were refused further treatment by one hospital, and how I made a miraculous recovery against the odds. All thanks to faith, a crack team of experts across two rival hospitals, and immunotherapy.
As soon as it’s finished, I’ll let you know how you can get a copy. Watch this space!
- Buy on Amazon.com (US Customers)
- Buy on Amazon.co.uk (UK Customers)
- Buy on Amazon.de (German Customers)
- My writing goal was 50.000+ Words
- My deadline: was
MarchJune 30th, 2018
- Current Status: FINISHED, with 132.667 Words
Super Survivor Website
Julia and I are in the midst of setting up a dedicated Super Survivor website where we will share experiences and practical tips on how to overcome the many headaches that cancer treatment involves.
The site will also feature personal video diary footage from both my treatment days as well as post-survival experiences. It’ll be a place to share stories and hear from other Super Survivors too, and hopefully get insights from my crack team of doctors and nurses, as well as other amazing people we met along the way.
Join me while I’m riding my bike through Miami Beach, and see how my life and treatment is progressing throughout 2018 and beyond.
- Current Status: under construction (like the rest of Miami)
- Deadline: sometime in 2018
- visit supersurvivor.tv
Super Survivor Documentary
I have plans to create a documentary about my cancer journey. It will be made from existing footage of my extensive personal video diary I shot throughout this journey, but it needs editing and potentially additional interviews with my crack team of doctors and nurses who were part of this amazing journey.
The finished project will either be a single documentary or several episodes we can all binge-watch together.
All this will take some time, cost some money for crew and equipment, and it’s very early days yet. However, if you’re interested in becoming a sponsor for the project, please contact me below.
- Deadline: end of 2018
- Current Status: conceptual / research phase
What’s a Super Survivor again?
Regular cancer survivors are people who have survived through conventional cancer treatment, usually a combination of chemo and radiation therapy and often surgery.
Super Survivors on the other hand are those of us for whom conventional treatment options didn’t work. We are surviving with a new breed of drugs known as immunotherapy, an approach to cancer treatment that allows the body’s own immune system to recognise and fight the disease.
So what else do you do?
You might describe me as a restless creativity junkie with many interests: I’m a connoisseur of 3D software, a Broadcast Professional, occasional iOS Developer, and I have a somewhat popular YouTube Channel called The WP Guru.
I’m also a loving husband and run a small web hosting company.
And did I mention that I’m the author of a book called LAMP Stack for Humans?
In 2012 my wife Julia and I sold our properties in the UK and moved permanently to the US because we won a Green Card in the Diversity Lottery. Before that I used to split my life between being a freelance broadcast professional in London and setting up websites for people. You can find out more about that part of my life here.
Apart from that I’m more or less a regular guy who currently splits his life across a number of projects around the web:
- versluis.com – this site right here is my personal website on which I write about my life and my creative output. I also use it to jot down notes on many other things, such as using 2D and 3D software
- I’m writing about my cancer journey and my post survival experiences at supersurvivor.tv
- In my capacity as as a web professional, I write about all things Linux, using LAMP stacks, web development and related technologies on The WP Guru
- and my iOS Dev Diary is all about making iOS Apps for iPhones and iPads using Objective-C
- I also run a small web hosting company called WP Hosting
- Let’s not forget my mesmerising YouTube channel with many software screencasts by yours truly
Feel free to explore the many tabs at the top of the navigational menu, or contact me below.
Before you do, please consider leaving a comment on any of my many articles and videos that are dotted across the web. I read them all, and I try to answer them all (even though at times it might take me a while to do so). Public conversations will help others who might have the same question or those who want to join in.